If you have been a part of my blog community for any amount of time you know that I am always trying to sneak vegetables in my children's diet. This recipe is no different. My toddler loves chicken nuggets (who doesn't), so I wanted to create a recipe I felt good about giving to him. That is how these vegetable chicken nuggets were born.
I am not going to claim these by any means taste like Chick-fila. They don't. However they are close enough that my kid doesn't ask any questions.
This recipe is written to be made in bulk. It freezes great. Since you are already going to get your hands and dishes dirty, why not make enough to last you for a bit. If you aren't a freezer type, just cut the recipe in half.
This recipe is: paleo, dairy free, and gluten free.
Makes 30 - 35 nuggets
- 2 lbs of ground chicken
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (2 zucchini)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup almond flour
How to Make it:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To shred the zucchini and carrot you can use a simple cheese grader or a food processor with the shredding attachment. Zucchini has a lot of liquid in it. You will need to squeeze off this extra liquid. Just put in between a few paper towels and press out the liquid.
- Combine all ingredients, except the almond flour, in a bowl.
- Use hands to combine well.
- Form mixture into a meatball. Then flatten into a nugget shape.
- Drop into almond flour and coat on all sides.
- Put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook 20 minutes.
I hope you enjoy!