This is my tried and true cough syrup recipe. I make this every time a cold shows up or allergies get a little crazy. I have seen an improvement in the coughing, and the length of time that cough hangs around.
You have probably heard that honey and lemon help with coughs. They are of course included in this recipe. Ginger can provide great support for the immune system and is antibacterial. Turmeric is like natures Advil. It is also antiviral and anti-fungal. Needless to say, this recipe is packed full of real food vitamin and nutrients.
Note: If your child is under a year old don't give them this recipe. Botulism is food poisoning caused by honey, and ya'll it may be rare, but it is legit. Also, I am not a doctor. This recipe is a home remedy and should be seen as one.
Dosage: Since this is just real food there is no need to limit the consumption. I give my kids a full tablespoon every time. The great thing is no matter how much they wake up with a cough in the night you don't have to wait till the next serving. Feel free to give it as needed.
- 1 T. roughly chopped ginger
- 1 T. roughly chopped turmeric
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- Juice of half a lemon
How to Make it:
- Using a vegetable peeler peel the ginger and turmeric. Roughly chop.
- Put ginger and turmeric in a small post with water on high heat.
- Once it is at a rapid boil turn off the heat. Leave to steep in pot for 5 minutes.
- Pour through a strainer into a small bowel.
- Add honey and lemon. Stir till well combined.
- Store in fridge, should last up a week.
Note: If your child needs something really sweet to take it feel free to add more honey. Experiment with what works for you.